Principal Investigator of Institute of Genetics,
Joint Professor of Women’s Hospital,
Joint Faculty of Department of Environmental Medicine,
Zhejiang University School of Medicine
Education and Experience
2011/09 - 2017/10 Research Fellow in Dr. Yang Shi lab at Boston Children's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
2008/07 - 2011/08 Postdoctoral training with Dr. Li-Jung Juan at Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
2001/09 - 2006/09 Ph.D., Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
1997/09 - 2001/06 B.S., Department of Food and Nutrition, Chinese Culture University, Taiwan
Dr. Chih-Hung Hsu joined Zhejiang University School of Medicine as a Research Fellow in 2018. He has been interested in Epigenetic Regulation by DNA, RNA, and histone modifications. In the past years, his researches include:
1) Demonstration of RNA methylation (m6A) as a stimuli-response factor for environmental stresses (2, Cover Article； Communications 2022 202；Nature 2017, highlighted in , , , and )
2) Hyperthermia-mediated destabilization of abnormal cellular factors ( 2022, Cover Article； 2022；Blood Cancer Discovery in
( 2012, selected into , commented in , highlighted by and websites
Hsu Laboratory - Lab Members
• Chih-Hung Hsu, Principal Investigator
• Jiebo Lin, 2018 PhD student
• Lingfang Wang, 2018 PhD student
• Guankai Zhan, 2019 PhD student
• Jinfeng Liu, 2019 PhD student
• Jian Zhang, 2019 Master student
• Kunhui Su, 2020 Master student
• Yanwen Liang, Exchange student
• Wentao He, Intern
• Yingfeng Su, Intern
• Bahadir Tursun, Intern
• Jiafeng Chen, Intern
• Yite Xue, Exchange Master student
• Aihua Shen, Research Assistant/Lab Manager
● Wang L#, Zhan G#, Maimaitiyiming Y#, Su Y, Lin S, Liu J, Su K, Lin J, Shen S, He W, Wang F, Chen J, Sun S, Xue Y, Gu J, Chen X, Zhang J, Zhang L, Wang Q, Chang KJ, Chiou SH, Björklund M, Naranmandura H*, Cheng X*, Hsu CH*. m6A Modification Confers Thermal Vulnerability to HPV E7 Oncotranscripts via Reverse Regulation of its Reader Protein IGF2BP1 upon Heat Stress.
● Chen S#, Zhang L#, Li M#, Zhang Y#, Sun M, Wang L, Lin J, Cui Y, Chen Q, Jin C, Li X, Wang B, Chen H, Zhou T*, Wang L*, Hsu CH*, Zhuo W*. Fusobacterium nucleatum Reduces METTL3-mediated m6A Modification and Contributes to Colorectal Cancer Metastasis.
● Liu J#, Lin J#, Chen J#, Maimaitiyiming Y, Su K, Sun S, Zhan G, Hsu CH*. Bisphenol C induces developmental defects in liver and intestine through mTOR signaling in zebrafish (Danio rerio).
● Maimaitiyiming Y#, Yang T#, Wang QQ#, Feng Y, Chen Z, Björklund M, Wang F, Hu C*, Hsu CH*, Naranmandura H*. Heat Treatment Promotes Ubiquitin-Mediated Proteolysis of SARS-CoV-2 RNA Polymerase and Decreases Viral Load.
● Maimaitiyiming Y#, Wang QQ#, Yang C, Ogra Y#, Lou Y, Smith CA, Hussain L, Shao YM, Lin J, Liu J, Wang L, Zhu Y, Lou H, Huang Y, Li X, Chang KJ, Chen H, Li H, Huang Y, Tse E, Sun J, Bu N, Chiou SH, Zhang YF, Hua HY, Ma LY, Huang P, Ge MH, Cao FL, Cheng X, Sun H, Zhou J, Vasliou V, Xu P, Jin J, Björklund M, Zhu HH, Hsu CH*, Naranmandura H*. Hyperthermia Selectively Destabilizes Oncogenic Fusion Proteins.
★Commented in: 'IN THE SPOTLIGHT' PML/RARA destabilization by hyperthermia: a new model for oncogenic fusion protein degradation?
● Xiang Y#, Laurent B#, Hsu CH#, Nachtergaele S, Lu Z, Xu C, Sheng W, Chen H, Jian O, Wang S, Ling D, Hsu PH, Zou L, Jambhekar A, He C, Shi Y. RNA m6A methylation regulates the ultraviolet-induced DNA damage response.
#Co-first author. The order of three first authors was determined by a roll of the dice.
● Huang Y#, Yu SH#, Zhen WX, Cheng T, Wang D, Lin JB, Wu YH, Wang YF, Chen Y, Shu LP, Wang Y, Sun XJ, Zhou Y, Yang F*, Hsu CH*, Xu PF*. Tanshinone I, a new EZH2 inhibitor restricts normal and malignant hematopoiesis through upregulation of MMP9 and ABCG2.
★“The Top 50 High Impact Research of Traditional Medicine" in 2021. This selection was organized by the Journal of Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine with the support of the China Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine announced on April 11, 2023.
● Chen HY, Wang ML, Laurent B, Hsu CH*, Chen MT, Lin LT, Shen J, Chang WC, Hsu J, Chen YW, Huang PI, Li CP, Ma HI, Yang YP, Hung MC, Chen CH, Lin WC, Chiou SH*. Musashi-1 promotes stress-induced tumor progression through recruitment of AGO2.
● Tsai PH#, Chien Y#, Wang ML#, Hsu CH#, Laurent B#, Chou SJ, Chang WC, Chien CS, Li HY, Lee HC, Huo TI#, Hung JH#, Chen CH, Chiou SH. Ash2l interacts with Oct4-stemness circuitry to promote super-enhancer-driven pluripotency network.
● Zhang J, Lee YR, Dang F, Gan W, Menon AV, Katon JM, Hsu CH, Asara JM, Tibarewal P, Leslie NR, Shi Y, Pandolfi PP, Wei W. PTEN Methylation by NSD2 Controls Cellular Sensitivity to DNA Damage.
● Lee YR, Chen M, Lee JD, Zhang J, Lin SY, Fu TM, Chen H, Ishikawa T, Chiang SY, Katon J, Zhang Y, Shulga YV, Bester AC, Fung J, Monteleone E, Wan L, Shen C, Hsu CH, Papa A, Clohessy JG, Teruya-Feldstein J, Jain S, Wu H, Matesic L, Chen RH, Wei W, Pandolfi PP. Reactivation of PTEN tumor suppressor for cancer treatment through inhibition of a MYC-WWP1 inhibitory pathway.
● Greer EL, Blanco MA, Gu L, Sendinc E, Liu J, Aristizábal-Corrales D, Hsu CH, Aravind L, He C, Shi Y. DNA Methylation on N6-Adenine in C. elegans.
★Previewed in: An Adenine Code for DNA: A Second Life for N6-Methyladenine.
● Hsu CH#, Peng KL#, Kang ML, Chen YR, Yang YC, Tsai CH, Chu CS, Jeng YM, Chen YT, Lin FM, Huang HD, Lu YY, Teng YC, Lin ST, Lin RK, Tang FM, Lee SB, Hsu HM, Yu JC, Hsiao PW, Juan LJ. TET1 suppresses cancer invasion by activating the tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases.
● Hsu CH, Peng KL, Jhang HC, Lin CH, Wu SY, Chiang CM, Lee SC, Yu WC, Juan LJ. The HPV E6 oncoprotein targets histone methyltransferases for modulating specific gene transcription.
● Hsu CH, Chang MD, Tai KY, Yang YT, Wang PS, Chen CJ, Wang YH, Lee SC, Wu CW, Juan LJ. HCMV IE2-mediated inhibition of HAT activity downregulates p53 function.
Invited Review & Chapter:
● Su Y#,Maimaitiyiming Y#, Wang L#, Cheng X*, Hsu CH*. Modulation of Phase Separation by RNA: A Glimpse on N6-Methyladenosine Modification.
● Wang L#, Maimaitiyiming Y#, Su K#, Hsu CH*. RNA m6A Modification: A Mediator between Cellular Stresses and Biological Effects.
● Maimaitiyiming Y, Wang QQ, Hsu CH*, Naranmandura H*. Arsenic induced epigenetic changes and relevance to treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia and beyond.
● Liang Y#, Zhan G#, Chang KJ, Yang YP, Wang L, Lin J, Hsu CH*. The roles of m6A RNA modifiers in human cancer.
● Li Z#, Xu H#, Li J#, Xu X#, Wang J, Wu D, Zhang J, Liu J, Xue Z, Zhan G, Tan BCP, Chen D, Chan YS, Ng HH, Liu W, Hsu CH, Zhang D*, Shen Y*, Liang H*. Selective binding of retrotransposons by ZFP352 facilitates the timely dissolution of totipotency network.
● Wang L#, Zhang J#, Su Y#, Maimaitiyiming Y, Yang S, Shen Z, Lin S, Shen S, Zhan G, Wang F, Hsu CH*, Cheng X*. Distinct Roles of m5C RNA Methyltransferase NSUN2 in Major Gynecologic Cancers.. Distinct Roles of m5C RNA Methyltransferase NSUN2 in Major Gynecologic Cancers.
● Chen HY, Lin LT, Wang ML, Laurent B, Hsu CH, Pan CM, Jiang WR, Chen PY, Ma HI, Chen YW, Huang PI, Chiou A, Chiou SH. Musashi-1 Enhances Glioblastoma Cell Migration and Cytoskeletal Dynamics through Translational Inhibition of Tensin3.
● Teng YC, Lee CF, Li YS, Chen YR, Hsiao PW, Chan MY, Lin FM, Huang HD, Chen YT, Jeng YM, Hsu CH, Yan Q, Tsai MD, Juan LJ. Histone Demethylase RBP2 Promotes Lung Tumorigenesis and Cancer Metastasis.
● Tyan SW, Hsu CH, Peng KL, Chen CC, Kuo WH, Lee EY, Shew JY, Chang KJ, Juan LJ, Lee WH. Breast cancer cells induce stromal fibroblasts to secrete ADAMTS1 for cancer invasion through an epigenetic change.
● Chiou SH, Yang YP, Lin JC, Hsu CH, Jhang HC, Yang YT, Lee CH, Ho LL, Hsu WM, Ku HH, Chen SJ, Chen SS, Chang MD, Wu CW, Juan LJ. The immediate early 2 protein of human cytomegalovirus mediates the apoptotic control in HCMV retinitis through upregulation of the cellular FLICE-inhibitory protein expression.